The University of Klagenfurt, with approximately 1,500 employees and over 12,000 students, is located in the Alps-Adriatic region and consistently achieves excellent placements in rankings. The motto “per aspera ad astra” underscores our firm commitment to the pursuit of excellence in all activities in research, teaching and university management. The principles of equality, diversity, health, sustainability and compatibility of work and family life serve as the foundation for our work at the university.
The University of Klagenfurt is pleased to announce the following open position at the Department of Artificial Intelligence and Cybersecurity, Information Systems group, at the Faculty of Technical Sciences with an expected starting date of September 2, 2024:
University assistant predoctoral (all genders welcome)
Level of employment: 75 % (30 hours/week)
Minimum salary: € 37,577.40 per annum (gross); classification according to collective agreement: B1
Limited to: 4 years
Application deadline: May 1, 2024
Reference code: 22/24
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Scientific work including the publication of research articles in the field of recommender systems:
- Conduct empirical research
- Aim to submit a dissertation and acquire a doctoral degree
- Independent teaching and assessment, usually
- Teaching practical courses
- Assessment of student work
- Contribution to organizational and administrative tasks
- Participation in public relations activities
The successful candidate is expected to pursue a doctoral degree within the thematic doctoral programme Informatics at the University of Klagenfurt. This position serves the purposes of the vocational and scientific education of graduates of Master’s or Diploma degree programmes with the goal of completing a doctoral degree in Technical Sciences. Applications by persons who have already completed a subject-specific doctoral degree can therefore not be considered.
In research and teaching, the research group Information Systems works on all aspects of recommender systems, including novel algorithmic approaches, the impact of recommender systems on end users and other stakeholders, and the business value of recommender systems.
Prerequisites for the appointment:
- Master’s degree at a domestic or foreign higher education institution in computer science or a related field.
This requirement must be fulfilled two weeks before the starting date at the latest; hence, the last possible deadline for meeting this requirement is August 19, 2024
- Solid programming skills
- Good communication and dissemination skills
- Fluency in English (both written and spoken)
Additional desired qualifications:
- Knowledge in machine learning
- Experience with university teaching and research activities (for example tutor, teaching assistant, or even autonomous teaching)
- Ability to work in a diverse team
German language skills are not a requirement, but successful applicants will be expected to acquire German language skills during their employment.
The employment contract is concluded for the position as university assistant (predoctoral) and stipulates a starting salary of € 2,684.10 gross per month (14 times a year; previous experience deemed relevant to the job can be recognized).
The University of Klagenfurt also offers:
- Personal and professional advanced training courses, management and career coaching, including bespoke training for women in science
- Numerous attractive additional benefits, see also https://jobs.aau.at/en/the-university-as-employer/
- Diversity- and family-friendly university culture
- The opportunity to live and work in the attractive Alps-Adriatic region with a wide range of leisure activities in the spheres of culture, nature and sports
If you are interested in this position, please apply in English providing the following documents:
- Letter of application explaining the motivation and including a statement of interest in research (indicating an idea for the research for your own doctoral degree)
- Curriculum vitae (please do not include a photo)
- Copies of degree certificates (Bachelor and Master)
- Copies of official transcripts (Bachelor and Master) containing a list of all courses and grades
- Master’s thesis. If the thesis is not available, the candidate should provide an explanation
- Three references (contact details of persons who the university may contact by email or telephone for information purposes)
- If an applicant has not received the Master’s degree by the application deadline, the applicant should provide a declaration, written either by a supervisor or by the candidate themselves, on the feasibility of finishing the Master’s degree before August 19, 2024
To apply, please use the >> job portal <<.
Candidates must provide proof that they meet the required qualifications by August 19, 2024, at the latest.
For further information on this specific vacancy, please contact Prof. Dr. Dietmar Jannach (firstname.lastname@example.org). General information about the university as an employer can be found at https://jobs.aau.at/en/the-university-as-employer/. At the University of Klagenfurt, recruitment and staff matters are accompanied not only by the authority responsible for the recruitment procedure but also by the Equal Opportunities Working Group and, if applicable, by the Representative for Disabled Persons.
The University of Klagenfurt aims to increase the proportion of women and therefore specifically invites qualified women to apply for the position. Where the qualification is equivalent, women will be given preferential consideration.
People with disabilities or chronic diseases, who fulfill the requirements, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Travel and accommodation costs incurred during the application process will not be refunded.
Translations into other languages shall serve informational purposes only. Solely the version advertised in the University Bulletin (Mitteilungsblatt) shall be legally binding.